My photo
Success, Failure...some of my greatest failures have been a springboard to my greatest successes...the terms are truly fluid.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Start the day with a Train...


Spencer had a nightmare last night...so when he popped awake he was surprised to find that he was close to both Manny and I. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Mom, why don't we go for a walk?"

So we got the dog's leashes and headed out for a walk.

And when we were about a mile away...we found that we could see the the train headlight. Now if there is one thingI am "into"...it is trains...and I know it is my dad's fault. Since I was a very little girl, I knew the thrill of how loud a train is when you are close to the side as it flies assuredly along the tracks. My sister and I were indected with my father's love of history and his love of history definitely included trains. We spent so much of my childhood at train tracks all along the western coast line that I still to this day have an overwhelming sense of calm when I hear an engine's honk as it warns driver's of its coming.

One of the best things about living here is the sound of trains...at all times of the day and night....but it is not a nuisance...it is a calming steady noise...like the sound of the geese flying overhead in the spring and the fall....

Anyway when Spencer spotted the train...well, I had to say I wanted to wait for it. I sensed it was loading a short distance away. We got off the tracks and I put my erratic dogs on leashes and we sat around and counted in Chinese, Japanese, Italian and Spanish...Spencer was quite good at that...and the train honked to let us know it was on the move.

And we sat close to one another. Even the dogs stayed close as we were within 10 feet of a noisy clack clack of a Amtrak making its way above Klamath Falls on the map.

Spencer was thrilled with the loudness and his awe was shared by both the dogs and myself.

It has been a rough month and a half but....there are moments of peace and serenity whether I ask for htem or not. I guess the trick is to focus on the good stuff instead of droning on and on about the bad....

No comments:

Post a Comment