My photo
Success, Failure...some of my greatest failures have been a springboard to my greatest successes...the terms are truly fluid.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Impressions....



Two days ago I was driving down Highway 5 with my oldest and youngest sporting Oregon State University jackets purchased from an award that my school\ provided in gratitude for endorsing them with our pictures.....we might show up in ads for the school which I am frankly very proud of...

It was funny that as I mentioned OSU in CA...no one seemed to register much except a football team. I was drawn in by its reputation as the best college on the coast...or the oldest college on the coast. As a Californian, I think of Stanford as the best, usually or University of the Pacific as the oldest....but I was raised here with a decidedly California point of view. OSU had a high quality and supposedly fairly hard program to attain a BA....I did not want easy in an online school...I wanted high quality.

None of that registered with my CA friends and family. When I was in OR my friends looked happy for me and sometimes impressed with the OSU reputation. For a few days I got to soak up the awesome school...its amazing size...class and reputation were everywhere in Oregon that we drove. I was proud as can be. My daughter....a bit of a college aficionado being a BA grad way ahead of me, was impressed with her first sight of my school of 3 years.

As we headed further south we peeled off jackets to wear our OSU T-shirts as the clouds and wet air switched to hot and dry California signature weather.

Now two days later I am fervently seeking housing...in this expensive and beautiful town...waiting for my financial aid check...eating a light breakfast...not out of cheapness but feeling nervous and happy.

I have just had my first morning of official language class in Arabic. I am so happy and exhilliarated I am almost speechless. After a morning of mangling Arabic, I need to sit here silently breathing and thinking.

I have been speaking in Arabic all morning. It has been fun and thrilling! I have met several of my peers who will attend the International Policy Studies program for the Fall...I love trying to say as much as possible...getting it wrong...and generally hanging around with others who are as passionate about language as I am....

I can now talk about others again in Arabic...I think I am not nearly where I was when I stopped my Arabic classes...but I am gaining it back fast....I have only been in class 3 hours....but it has been a world at improving my speech patterns in Arabic....with my now fearless ability to try and go ahead and fail I am not afraid of looking silly when I get it wrong....

Time to go back for another round of fluency training....just talking this afternoon...wooohooo....illa liqua....Bye....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment